Before we start this process of letting go, let’s take a moment and mentally remove ourselves from any relationship we have with other people, ideas we uphold based upon that relationship, and the pedestal that we put the person or relationship on. Don’t even think about those external things.
- Tame Time. We have made time a wolf in sheep’s clothing, but it doesn’t have to be. It can become our fluffy pet that shows us consistent and unconditional love; that is always there waiting for us to come back home to give us more love! Time is an eternal happening in the unchanging and vast universe, so long as there is order and physical matter to perceive that order. The cycles of life, death, and rebirth are inevitable (of course, depending on your philosophy)… so live with ease and flow. What is (with or without our attachment to time and its pressures), will come, go, and continue. Yes! Feel every moment positive+ and -negative, but don’t allow these feelings and pressures associated with time to take hold and become your master. You are in control. You have the power to shift your perception of time and therefore, tame it. Whatever the universe brings has been on its way, and will continue to be on its way… so why get bent out of shape waiting for it?
- Do not trust with effort. Your existence is trust. Trust is something we’ve complicated and assigned to our relationships. Trust, in its truest form, is when you wake up in the morning, open your eyes, and use your senses. Trust is your first breath. It’s the recognition of the crisp, Fall air entering your nostrils. It’s the natural inclination to reach out and expand your physical form into the universe by reaching your hands out to stretch. Trust is when the seasons change, and the rotation of the planets around the sun. It’s our feet planted into Mother Earth’s skin as we continue our rotation around the sun. This is trust because this is, and this is not fleeting. It reminds me of growing up in church and the congregation would sing ” Hold to his hand, God’s unchanging hand” yet they never explained the vast meaning of the UNCHANGING HAND...HMMMMM??? …
- Make no assumptions. Assumptions cause unnecessary strife and struggle. There are two sides to every coin. There are positive+ and -negative aspects of every “thing”, and every truth is a half truth*.
- Think “interconnected,” not “isolated.” Isolation is a falsehood of perception. For every cause, there is an effect (and vice versa). Everything —let me say it again— EVERYTHING has an origin (we can argue about this one, ooooweeeeee!). When we isolate things, we elevate them to a false whole as if they exist in a sea of no-thing. If this were the truth, then there would be no-thing. As a result, there would be no isolation, because that would mean that that this thing is conscious of it being a thing without another thing. To go off of that, everything that we isolate had something (something else or an event) that caused that thing to go into isolation and stay in isolation because of external forces, again, reinforcing the idea that there is no isolation (…I know, it sounds mental…. but isn’t interconnectedness a beautiful thing?) By acknowledging that no single thing is isolated, we can fully innerstand and embrace how connected we are with everything, and we can express gratitude knowing how divinely supported and cared for we are.
- Returning to breath = returning to life. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. By returning to your breath, you can slow down and tune into the rhythms of life.
*Shoutout to Ancestor Thoth to whom I pay homage for your unparalleled wisdom.
Love, Paz & Sankofa